In this paper the authors talk about creating an efficient algorithm that controls “grammar based” procedural models. They aim to create a function that is both flexible and easy enough to control so that it can be applied in a wide range of situations, form the creation of buildings to trees and even 2D images.
I find this useful as it again delves more into the working of some software that I have used in the past. This work is a strong reference to the user interface of Plant Factory which I used to create procedurally generated models for trees that were constrained by a set of rules dictating everything from number of branched and tree height to root depth and even the details on the bark.
*Personal work based on a workflow similar to the one described above
This however also reminds me of my struggles to use the Esri City Engine software which is used to create procedural cities with varied buildings. The main issue with this was the lack of an accessible user interface that as the paper mentioned severely hampered my ability to create or modify anything that I’ve created using the software.
Talton, J., Lou, Y., Lesser, S., Duke, J., Měch, R. and Koltun, V. (2011). Metropolis procedural modeling. ACM Transactions on Graphics, 30(2), pp.1-14.